Government Buildings – Department of the Taoiseach

Sir Aston Webb , 1922 /
Department of the Taoiseach, Government Buildings, Upper Merrion Street, Dublin, 2 D02R583
Saturday, 11am—5pm
Photo: Courtesy of Government Buildings

Government Buildings houses the Department of the Taoiseach (Prime Minister), the Council Chamber (where Government meetings take place), the Department of Finance and the Office of the Attorney General. The building was constructed between 1904 and 1922 as a combination of Government Offices and a Royal College of Science, which occupied the magnificent centre block. It’s function is reflected in the statues of Mathematician William Rowan Hamilton and Scientist Richard Boyle which flank the entrance. The architects were Sir Aston Webb of London who also designed Admiralty Arch in London and Sir Thomas Manley Dean from Cork. The style of the building is grandiose Edwardian Baroque. The facade is of rough granite and smooth pale Portland stone. The building was extensively renovated in 1990 by architects of the Office of Public Works to house the Department of the Taoiseach which had previously occupied a side wing.

First Come Basis

Just show up and look out for Open House Dublin Volunteers.

Notes

  • Wheelchair Accessible.
  • Suitable for Children
  • Photography is not permitted on this tour

More OHD Nearby