Goethe-Institut

Henchion-Reuter Architects with Shaffrey Architects (Conservation), Courtyard landscape design by TTT – (thirtythreetrees) , 2016-2018 /
37 Merrion Square South, Dublin 2
Saturday, 11am—5pm
Photo: Fionn McCann

The house at 37 Merrion Square was built in 1787. It is supposed that the architect was Samuel Sproule and that the internal stucco work was done by Robert West. Since 1961, 37 Merrion Square has been home to the Goethe-Institute. 2018 saw the refurbishment of the original Georgian building, the addition of a large extension to the rear, to house the language department, and the installation of a new garden. The new-build consists of a sub-parterre level over most of the site, a split-level three-storey mews above this. The original house has been re-instated in line with the original Georgian era details. Significant craftsmanship was required to repair the stuccowork and the first floor ceilings were completed in the original colouring with gold leaf detailing. The colour scheme elsewhere was based on analysis of paint fragments found on the site. Floorboards were recovered and re-used where feasible.The Historic Georgian Terrace House and Contemporary Extension will be open for tours

First Come Basis

Just show up and look out for Open House Dublin Volunteers.

Notes

  • Wheelchair Accessible.
  • Suitable for Children

More OHD Nearby

Irish Architectural Archive

Unknown, 1794

National Maternity Hospital

Ralph Byrne, 1938