The Provost’s house, a Palladian mansion, was built in 1759 for the purpose of providing a residence for the Provost of Trinity College Dublin and his family, and has continued to provide this function for over 250 years. The current Provost is the 24th Provost to reside in the house for his term of office. Externally the house is similar to that built by Lord Burlington in London in the 1830s. It is a solid Palladian design with a central Venetian window and doric pilasters. The house possesses one of the most elaborately decorated interiors of its period.