Farmleigh House - Open House Dublin 2022
Building Tour

Farmleigh House

James Franklin Fuller
Farmleigh House & Estate, White's Road, Phoenix Park, Dublin 15
tours every 30min from 10.30am – last tour starts at 4.30pm
tours every 30min from 10.30am – last tour starts at 4.30pm
Classical architecture entrance hall with staircase and columns, featuring Landseer's painting

Join us on a guided tour of Farmleigh House. Its great charm lies in the eclecticism of its interior decoration ranging from the classical style to Jacobean, Louis XV, Louis XVI, and Georgian. Originally a small Georgian house built in the late eighteenth century, Farmleigh was purchased by Edward Cecil Guinness in 1873.

The first major building programme was undertaken in 1881-84 to designs by Irish architect James Franklin Fuller (1832-1925), who extended the house to the west, refurbished the existing house, and added a third storey. In 1896 the Ballroom wing was added, designed by the Scottish architect William Young (1843-1900). With the addition of a new conservatory adjoining the ballroom in 1901, Farmleigh had, by the early years of the twentieth century, all the requisites for gracious living and stylish entertainment.

 

Drop-in tour. No booking required.

Accessibility Information

Lift access to first and ground floor of Farmleigh House.

Wheelchair accessible, Accessible Toilets, Assistance Dogs welcome


Photography Credit
© Davison & Associates

Share


Similar

Newsletter

Want to stay informed? Sign up for the IAF newsletter