Since 1831, the Registry of Deeds has been located in the south wing of the landmark James Gandon designed building at the top of Henrietta Street. The entire complex was originally designed by Gandon in 1796 as two distinct wings to house a dining hall and library for King’s Inn. However when King’s Inn were unable to complete the work on library wing, it was acquired by the government in 1814, for use as a records office, and the building work completed by architect Francis Johnston. The façade of the building features portland stone, and the main entrance to Registry of Deeds is ornamented by caryatids representing Security and Law. The interior includes granite stone and floating staircase. The historical records held at Registry of Deeds include over 5 million Memorials and 17,000 bound volumes dating from 1708 to date which are important sources for architectural, social, economic and family history in Ireland.

Share