The vast ruin of the former Pigeon House power station is the one of the most striking industrial architecture complexes in the city and is now one of the largest protected structures in Ireland. Built in three main phases (1902-03, 1911-1913 and 1933-40; decommissioned in the 1970s), the power station was constructed of red brick and steel, and later of reinforced concrete. These layers of exposed fabric show how the building was constantly modified to keep up with increasing electricity demand.
Today, only one of the 12 chimneys remain and the ruins of the power station resemble the atmospheric drawings of classical ruins by the 18th century Italian artist Giovanni Battista Piranesi.
Tours every 15 mins from 11am to 3pm
For safety reasons children under 18 are not permitted.
Wear robust footwear as ground surface is uneven, hi-vis vests will be provided before the tour starts.
Visitors will be required to sign an indemnity form on arrival, before the tour starts.
Pre-book only. Booking open 28th September. Check back here!
- Wheelchair Accessible.
- Assistance Dogs Welcome