Photo: Courtesy of Government Buildings
✔Log in to create a list
Saturday 15 October, 11.00am – 5.00pm
The imposing complex of Government Buildings was originally intended as a home for the Royal College of Science, then housed at 51 St. Stephen's Green. It was the last significant building project undertaken by the British administration in Ireland. Designed by the famous London-based architect Sir Aston Webb, assisted by Irish Architect Thomas Manley Deane, the project began in 1904 and was completed in 1922, in time to be occupied by the new Irish Free State Government. Cabinet meetings have been held in the North block of the complex ever since. In 1989 the building was extensively renovated and refurbished to provide modern accommodation for the department of the Taoiseach, the Office of the Attorney General and the Department of Finance.