Tour of the Old Library, Trinity College Dublin - Open House Dublin 2024

Tour of the Old Library, Trinity College Dublin

Trinity College Library, Old Library, College Green, South-East Inner City, Dublin 2

Dates & Times
  • Saturday 14th October:
  • 11am – 11.40am
Tour type
  • Building Tour

Thomas Burgh

Come and visit the Old Library and hear about conservation/preservations plans and exciting new developments.
The Old Library building is home to the world renowned Book of Kells. This imposing building is the masterpiece of Thomas Burgh (1670-1730), chief engineer and surveyor-general of Ireland and it has undergone two major adaptions since its completion in 1732. Originally, the main chamber of the Library was placed over an open ground floor arcade as a precaution against damp. In 1892 this was filled in to make more shelf space for books. The jewel in the Old Library’s crown is undoubtedly the Long Room, regarded by many as Ireland’s most beautiful interior. Alterations by architects Thomas Deane and Benjamin Woodward in 1860 saw the Long Room’s flat plaster ceiling replaced with a barrel-vault and in the words of Professor Edward McParland “what had been superb, they made sublime”.

The Old Library Redevelopment Project is underway. As part of the Old Library’s conservation efforts, all of the books within the Long Room have been removed from the shelves. The team is undergoing a historic project in the Old Library to safeguard the 18th century building and preserve its precious collections.

Meeting point: The Old Library (main door), Trinity College Dublin, Dublin 2.

This tour is pre-book only.

Accessibility Information

The Old Library is wheelchair accessible. On arrival, please speak to one of our staff members who will arrange for a Library Guard to assist you in using our elevator and accessing all areas of the exhibition.

Wheelchair accessible
Assistance Dogs welcome



Booked Out



Want to stay informed? Sign up for the IAF newsletter