The Church Bar & Restaurant

William Robinson & Thomas Burgh , 1699 /
The Church, Junction of Mary St & Jervis St, Dublin 1
Saturday, 11am—5pm
Sunday, 11am—5pm
Photo: Photo courtesy of The Church Bar and Restaurant

The parish of St. Mary’s was founded in 1697 and was only the second parish on the north side of the River Liffey. It took its name from the medieval monastery of St. Mary’s Abbey that occupied most of the north side of the river from 1139 until its dissolution in 1539. Work on The Church building began almost immediately and was largely finished by 1702. It was mostly the work of English architect William Robinson, who was also responsible for the Royal Hospital in Kilmainham. It is likely, however, that it was finished by his successor as Surveyor General, Thomas Burgh (also responsible for the Old Library in Trinity College). St Mary’s is currently most renowned as the first galleried church in Dublin and is a perfect example of classical church architecture.

First Come Basis

Just show up and look out for Open House Dublin Volunteers.

Notes

  • Wheelchair Accessible.
  • Suitable for Children

More OHD Nearby

The Chocolate Factory Arts Centre

Donnelly & Moore, 1910