The clubhouse was designed by Mulvany, a follower of Gandon, designer of the Custom House in Dublin, and he produced a beautiful miniature Palladian villa in the neo-classical style. The builder was Masterson, who built many other beautiful houses in the neighbourhood, including Sorrento Terrace, Dalkey. Work was completed in 1843, but, incredibly such was the growth in membership, that the clubhouse was already too small. Permission was granted by Harbour Commissioners in 1845 for an extension of the original facade, which involved clever duplication of the existing Ionic portico with the erection of a linking colonnade between. The symmetry and classical grace of the clubhouse was thus preserved in the new building.
In 1963 a major restoration project was undertaken to repair and update the Club’s facilities, and this attracted a large number of new members. The building was further updated and extended in 2008.
Tours at 2pm, 3pm, 4pm and 5pm
Pre-book only. Booking open 28th September. Check back here!
- Wheelchair Accessible.