The National Maternity Hospital at Dublin’s Holles Street was established in 1894 and this year celebrates its one hundred and twenty fifth birthday. it is the largest maternity hospital in the State and also one of Europe’s largest maternity hospitals, delivering over 9000 babies each year. The hospital building that fronts onto Merrion Square, formerly the nurses residence, and extends down Holles St. to the archway after the main entrance, was completed in 1938 by the architect Ralph Byrne. The building was built by Cramptons.

Share