The NCH site at Earlsfort Terrace dates from 1865, when it was built to host the Great Exhibition. After becoming a University, it was the stage for significant events surrounding the War of Independence, including the Dáil Éireann debates on ratification of the Anglo-Irish Treaty in 1922, which took place in the College Council Chamber, now the Kevin Barry Recital Room. In 1981 this long-standing dream of Irish music lovers was realised when President Hillery opened An Ceoláras Náisiúnta. It remains one of the nations finest cultural assets occupying a historic landmark building in the centre of Dublin.

Share