Constructed in 1814 by a wealthy English industrialist who operated the adjacent woolen mill on the Camac River, the Kilmainham Congregational Church was the last surviving and longest surviving Congregational Church in Dublin when it closed to worship in 1999 and is one of the few remaining physical remnants of the Congregational tradition in Dublin.
The building is a fine example of modest dissenter style with simple but well-judged geometrical proportions and plain detailing. Its pure geometric form and original Georgian gothic windows make Kilmainham Congregational Church one of the finest remaining examples of an early 1800’s dissenter meeting house in Ireland.
Sensitively converted into a house in 2009, the chapel occupies a raised piece of land above Inchicore Road and looks out over the remaining vestiges of its original industrial context of mill buildings, mill owners house and the purpose-built workers housing opposite that accommodated specialist immigrant mill workers from Yorkshire who established the early church’s congregation.
Tours at 1.30 pm
Pre-booked tour. Bookings open 28th September.
- Building not accessible for wheelchair users. There are 7 steps at the entrance up to the garden, then once inside there are 6 steps up into the main room.
- There are no lifts.
- On street parking is available but it can be extremely difficult to park. Closest parking is at The Hilton Hotel, Kilmainham (paid, 4 min walk) IMMA (15 min walk).
- No secure bike parking nearby, only poles or railings.
- Nearest luas is Suir Road (Red line, 11 min walk away). Bus stop nearby (Routes 13, 40, or 25B).
- Assistance Dogs welcome