The James Joyce Tower at Sandycove is typical of the twenty-six Martello towers that were built to north and south of Dublin. The building of fifteen towers between Dublin and Bray was authorized by the Defence Act of 1804 and work commenced immediately.  The Tower is best known for featuring at the beginning of James Joyce’s Ulysses. The tower today houses a museum which contains letters, photographs and personal possessions of Joyce.

Share