The Open House Junior ‘Digital Design Challenge’ is a nationwide design competition for children and young people aged between 7 and 18. Use your creativity and digital skills to design your very own ‘Social Space’. You can work individually or as part of a team – but if you’re working together then you should all be in the same age group!
Theme: ‘Social Space’ – a space for us to meet.
In this design challenge you are invited to create your ideal space for meeting with your friends.
Winners will receive an architectural modelling kit from Irish-made Arckit!
Ages 7-10: Arckit Mountain Living
Ages 11-14: Arckit GO Eco
Ages 15-18: Arckit A100
These prizes have been kindly sponsored by Arckit, ‘inspiring the next generation of creators and makers’. Learn more at arckit.com
How to Take Part
Step 1: Choose your digital design platform!
You can use any of the following to create an original design for your own ‘Social Space’:
Hint! Choose a platform you already know and love!
- Gary’s Mod
- Sketch Up
Step 2: Get designing!
Here are some design prompts to help you to get started:
- Explore your ideas for your ‘Social Space’. What could it be inspired by? What shape or form would it take? There is no limit to your imagination!
- Where would your ‘Social Space’ be located – In a city or town? In a forest? By the sea? Beside your school or home? It’s up to you!
- Think about sustainable, energy efficient design – what materials would you use to build your ‘Social Space’? Could recycled materials be used?
- Consider flexibility – could your design be adaptable and multi-functional?
Step 3: Create a video or choose the best images of your design
Would a 30 second video or some still images be the best way to communicate your design ideas? Try out a few different options and choose the best!
Step 4: Share your design with us
To submit your design, first fill out the google form HERE
then email 3 images (or a short video – 30 seconds max) of your design to: firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘OHJ-Digital Design Challenge –YOUR NAME’ in the subject line.
- Must be created by a student between the ages of 7 and 18
- Must be your own original work
- Must not contain your own image or any information to mark your identity or location.
The very best of luck from Open House Dublin and the IAF!