Originally a small Georgian house built in the late eighteenth century, Farmleigh was purchased by Edward Cecil Guinness in 1873. The first major building programme was undertaken in 1881-84 to designs by Irish architect James Franklin Fuller (1832-1925), who extended the house to the west, refurbished the existing house, and added a third storey. In 1896 the Ballroom wing was added, designed by the Scottish architect William Young (1843-1900).
With the addition of a new conservatory adjoining the ballroom in 1901, Farmleigh had, by the early years of the twentieth century, all the requisites for gracious living and stylish entertainment. Its great charm lies in the eclecticism of its interior decoration ranging from the classical style to Jacobean, Louis XV, Louis XVI, and Georgian. Today Farmleigh provides accommodation for visiting dignitaries.
Tours at 10.30am, 11.30am, 12.30am, 1.30pm, 2.30pm, 3.30pm and 4.30pm
Pre-book only. Bookings at 018155914 or email@example.com
The ground floor of Farmleigh House is fully accessible to wheelchair users. Signs throughout the grounds use Braille. Read More here
- Wheelchair Accessible.
- Suitable for Children