These very late Georgian buildings (ca. 1830) were originally named Edwards Terrace, after Edward, Duke of Kent and Strathearn and Earl of Dublin. The terrace formed part of the earliest redevelopment in the area during the early 19th century when Dublin’s fashionable Northside expanded, and were probably built speculatively by Dublin based builders., where ‘ordinary’ houses were often built in small clusters. They are of typically restrained Dublin typology, perhaps even loosely related to the ‘fourth rate’ house defined in the building act of 1774 which aimed to standardise construction, chiefly to limit fire spread. Disraeli blamed the Act for ‘all those flat, dull spiritless streets all resembling each other, like a large family of plain children.’
The terrace, untenanted for ten years, fell into great disrepair, especially number three which was severely damaged by fire. All internal features of architectural significance were lost. Dublin City Council set out to repair the terrace in 2017 and provide seven social housing units. The project was completed in 2019.