Photo: Pamela O'Connor
Seapoint Martello Tower
✔Log in to create a list
Sunday 15 October, 12.00pm – 5.00pm
Seapoint Martello Tower, along with towers at Dun Laoghaire, Glasthule and Sandycove, was built in 1804 by John Murray under contract from the Board of Ordinance. Conservation works at the tower in 2011 involved the repointing of the exterior with lime mortar and the re-decoration of original cast iron fittings. A new perforated metal floor has been installed allowing views into the basement, and a new spiral staircase provides access. The 1950's concrete bathing shelter adjoining the tower, which has experienced weathering due to the exposed nature of the site, has largely been rebuilt. The tower is now open to the public as a museum, and is one of the only two Martello Towers in Dublin equipped with a replica cannon.
First-come basis: Just turn up and look out for Open House Dublin volunteers.
Designed by: Original architect John Murray / Conservation works by Paul Arnold Architects
Building Date: 1804 / 2011
Location: Brighton Vale, Seapoint, Blackrock, Co Dublin