Photo: Courtesy of DCC
Main Lift Pumping Station and Lord Mayor’s Coach
✔Log in to create a list
Saturday 13 October
Sunday 14 October
The Main Lift Pump Station (MLPS) was commissioned in July 1985 to lift contributing wastewater flows from the City Centre, Rathmines, Pembroke and Grand Canal sewers to a high level collection chamber and gravitate to the Treatment Works at Pigeon House through twin syphon pipelines. The pumping station is 25.8m in overall diameter and 15.5m deep. The structure was cast inside a circular steel sheet piled cofferdam with a slurry trench of self setting cement/bentonite to prevent ingress of ground water. It pumps on average 265,000 m3/day of wastewater through 6 pumps.
In an adjacent building, the Lord Mayor’s coach is housed. It was delivered in 1791 by William Whitton of Dominick Street, Dublin. It was restored in 1975 by Dublin Corporation and makes three outings a year including leading the St Patrick's Day Parade in Dublin since 1976.