Photo: Brendan Ryan
Chocolate Factory Creative Community Dublin
✔Log in to create a list
Saturday 13 October, 11.00am – 5.00pm
Henry Williams, a confectioner, and Robert Woods, a merchant, formed Williams & Woods in the mid 1870’s, on the site of the present day Parnell Street Cinema, then Simpson’s Hospital. Through the latter part of the 1800’s the property extended northwards along Kings Inn Street. In 1908 a fire destroyed the building and in 1910 the new building, one of the first reinforced concrete structures in Dublin, now known as the Chocolate Factory was completed, custom-designed around the jam-making process. Along with this, the factory produced a variety of chocolates and sweets, such as Toblerone and Silvermints. In 1975, Williams & Woods re-located to Tallaght. Having served a variety of uses since 1975, primarily as a File Storage facility, the building became the Chocolate Factory in 2011, and is now home to a variety of creatives in studios spread over 5 floors, including architects, furniture designers, photographers, film-makers, painters & fashion designers.
First-come basis: Just turn up and look out for Open House Dublin volunteers. Tours on the hour, last tour is 4:00pm. Wheelchair accessible.
Designed by: Donnelly & Moore
Building Date: 1910
Location: 26 Kings Inn St, Dublin 1