Photo: Vincent Lavergne
Alliance Française Dublin
✔Log in to create a list
Saturday 14 October, 2.30pm – 4.30pm
Number 1 Kildare Street, formerly the Kildare Club and currently the Alliance Francaise, was designed in 1858 and completed in 1861. Its architects, Benjamin Woodward and Thomas Newenham Deane, also designed the Museum Building at Trinity College Dublin and the Museum Building at Oxford University. Their architecture was influenced by the writings of John Ruskin on the role of the craftsman and the social responsibility of public art. One of the most celebrated architectural elements of the building is the imaginative and skillfully carved animals that can be seen on the bases and capitals of the large external columns, though it is still disputed whether this fine workmanship should be attributed to the O'Shea Brothers or to Charles W Harrison. The tour this year will also include the newly renovated French Library by GKMP Architects.