Photo: Carrig Conservation International Ltd.
10 Mill Street
✔Log in to create a list
Saturday 14 October, 11.00am – 5.00pm
10 Mill Street is regarded as one of the most significant 18th century structures situated within the historic Liberties area of Dublin. Built c.1720 as a ‘Double Dutch Billy’ detached five-bay three-storey house, the building was later re-modelled c.1890 in a gothic style by architect George P. Beater, when the adjacent site was developed for use as school and mission hall. The building has for many years been the subject of neglect, vandalism and fire. As part of recent conservation works, Carrig Conservation reinstated the hipped roof to match Beaters late 19th century profile and undertook extensive repairs to the principal façade to include removal of the late 20th century cement render and the application of a historically appropriate ‘raddle coat’. A new timber and glazed staircase has been installed to the interior which incorporates the fragmentary remains of historic panelling and a section of the original basement stair. Further sections of 18th century raised-and-fielded panelling have been salvaged and retained as part of a contemporary panelled interior to the principal ground floor reception room.