menu
National College of Art and Design

Photo: Matthew Thompson

National College of Art and Design

Log in to create a list

Saturday 15 October, 11.00am – 5.00pm

The National College of Art and Design, Dublin (NCAD) campus is located on Thomas Street, Dublin 8 and is situated on the site of the former John’s Lane Distillery of John Power and Son, founded in 1791. The site was home to the Power’s Whiskey Distillery until the 1970s when the distillery closed. Today, many of the distillery buildings and historical features remain, including some of its steam engine machinery and famous stills. The impressive site of industrial buildings was creatively redesigned in the 1980s by Burke Kennedy Doyle Architects, who also designed the newly built School of Design for Industry wing which opened in 1998. In recent years the College acquired the former Fire Station on Thomas Street, built in 1911 and redeveloped by MOLA Architecture in 2008. The Fire Station building is a protected structure located between the college Distillers House and administration building which also houses the NCAD Gallery, all facing onto Thomas Street.Sinead Hughes from MÓLA Architecture guides twenty minute tours from 11.00am - 2.00pm covering the Harry Clarke Building / NCAD Gallery. We also have Noel Guilfoyle to guide us through the NCAD campus. Noel has given Open House tours in the past and is also a past student of NCAD, giving twenty minute tours from 11am - 5pm.

First-come basis: Just turn up and look out for Open House Dublin volunteers. Wheelchair Access.

Designed by: Burke Kennedy Doyle Architects / MOLA
Building Date: 1791/2008
Location: 100 Thomas Street, Dublin 8