64a Baggot Street, consisting of four floors, was purpose-built to house women and children, with accommodation, chapel, and schoolrooms. Commissioned by Catherine McCauley, founder of the Sisters of Mercy, the house became the order’s first convent and is now home to the headquarters of Mercy International, remodelled in 1994 by Richard Hurley & Associates. A small Gothic chapel-like structure was added to the courtyard in McCauley’s memory in 1909-11, with kneeling angels in the place of corner pinnacles. Stained glass includes work by the Harry Clarke Studios.
Last tour: 30 minutes prior to closing
First-come basis: Just turn up and look out for Open House Dublin volunteers.
Architect: John B. Keane, John Bourke, W.H. Byrne Building Date: 1824–1827, 1858, 1909–1911 Location: 64A Lower Baggot Street, Dublin 2
Dublin Bus Route(s): 37, 38, 38a, 38b, 39, 39a, 70