menu
Kilmainham Gaol Courthouse

Photo: Office of Public Works

Kilmainham Gaol Courthouse

Log in to create a list

Saturday 15 October
Sunday 16 October

Kilmainham Courthouse opened in 1820, replacing a much older courthouse that probably stood beside Old Kilmainham Gaol (most likely in Mount Brown, Old Kilmainham). It served as a courthouse until 2008 (with a break between 1910 and 1924), but over the years it had many other uses. Between 1820 and 1910 it was A Sessions House where the Petty Sessions were held, and between 1820 and 1898 it fulfilled many of the functions of a county hall, serving as the seat of local government and as a polling station for parliamentary and other elections. In the twentieth century the building was used simultaneously as a District Court, a Family Law Court and the headquarters of Dublin County Library.

Places on this tour will be distributed using a lottery, which has now closed.

Booking Lottery

Places on this tour will be distributed using a lottery, which has now closed. Winners will be notified of their tour details ahead of the Open House Dublin weekend. Most of the Open House Dublin tours are operated on a First Come, First Served basis. So if you missed out on this lottery, make sure to check out the rest of the programme!