Photo: Paul Tierney
DIT Cathal Brugha Street
✔Log in to create a list
Saturday 15 October, 11.00am – 5.00pm
Sunday 16 October, 12.00pm – 5.00pm
Built as St. Mary’s College of Domestic Science, this 4 storey brick and granite building at the corner of Cathal Brugha and Marlborough Streets was completed in 1941. The stair hall is noted for its elegant detailing with Art Deco influences, including its terrazzo stairs and chrome-clad railings. On the exterior, the corners were intended as bases for sculptures, and the corner with Thomas Lane features three limestone students by artist Gabriel Hayes, whose work can also be seen on the Department of Industry & Commerce and the Irish decimal penny, halfpenny and two-pence coins. On Saturday 15th October there will be specific tours given by Merlo Kelly as part of the More than Concrete Blocks Series.