menu
Dr Steevens’ Hospital

Photo: Ceara Cowap

Dr Steevens’ Hospital

Log in to create a list

Saturday 15 October, 11.00am – 1.00pm

Founded to care for the city’s sick and poor, with the original entrance elevation to Steevens’ Lane to the east. The hospital was arranged around a courtyard (smaller in scale than the nearby Royal Hospital Kilmainham), with a ground floor arcade wrapping the courtyard interior. The Worth Library, added in 1733 at the bequest of Dr. Edward Worth, is lined with its original glazed bookcases and Corinthian entablature. The hospital was remodeled for the Eastern Health Board in 1987 by Arthur Gibney & Partners and is now in use by the Health Service Executive.

First-come basis: Just turn up and look out for Open House Dublin volunteers. Wheelchair Access. This tour is not suitable for children.

Designed by: Thomas Burgh
Building Date: 1733
Location: Steevens’ Lane, Ushers, Dublin 8